Equilibrium Bookcase by Alejandro Gomez Stubbs for Malagana Design
Created by Colombian-born, US-based designer Alejandro Gomez Stubbs for his studio Malagana Design, the Equilibrium Bookcase features of modules (individual bookcase) of different sizes, stacked in tilted to form a 198 cm high bookcase.
Description from Malagana Design
EQUILIBRIUM IS A NEW BOOKCASE BY MALAGANA DESIGN
With its cantilevered modules stacked upon each other at single angled pint, Equilibrium is a unique furniture piece that immediately catches attention by creating a sense of amusement and surprise.
The acclaimed bookcase is now available for sale, finished with a natural walnut veneer on the outside and your choice of either white, celeste or graphite on the inside.
Equilibrium holds more than 120 Lbs. of weight and its different modules allow to keep books and magazines organized in a natural tilted position that eliminates the need for bookends.
As a prototype Equilibrium was honored with a nomination to the Lápiz de Acero Award in Colombia and by Design Within Reach as a winner in the Design+Modern+Function Competition in New York.
With convenience in mind, Equilibrium has been redesigned to be completely assembled in a few minutes without the need of any tools or hardware.
Equilibrium was exhibited during New York design week 2011.
- Capable of holding over 54 kilograms of weight, distributed across its five compartments.
- A walnut veneer exterior, while the interior is available in white, celeste blue or graphite. Custom colors are available by request.
- Each bookcase is connected to another with a steel joint.
- The bookcases are cantilevered in an angle that forces the load of the weight towards the center of the Equilibrium, thus keeping it in balance.
- The tilt design eliminates the need for bookends since the force of the gravity will keeps the books together with the exception of the bottom case.
- The bookcase can be disassembled quickly and easily without the need for tools or special hardware and the disassembled units can be fitted into the two largest unit for easy, space saving storage.
- High:198 cm
- Wide: 61 cm
- Deep: 38 cm
The Equilibrium is available with a price tag of $1,090.